National Steel Receives $13-Million Order To Overhaul The U.S.S. Cayuga
National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego, Calif., reported that a contract option for approximately $13 million has been exercised by the U.S. Navy for the regular overhaul of the U.S.S. Cayuga (LST-1186) A contract awarded by the Navy to NASSCO in October 1982 provided for the regular overhaul of the U.S.S. Tuscaloosa (LST-1187) with options for similar overhauls of four additional LSTs—Cayuga, Frederick, Peoria and Bristol County. Each option will be exercised separately; if all options are exercised, the total value of the contract will be approximately $80 million.
Work on the Tuscaloosa commenced at NASSCO in June and is expected to conclude in early December. The Cayuga is scheduled to arrive at NASSCO on September 22 for an approximate eight-month overhaul period.
The Tuscaloosa, Cayuga, Frederick, Peoria and Bristol County were built by NASSCO during 1967-72 as part of a 17-ship contract fulfilled for the Navy by NASSCO.
NASSCO's current backlog is approximately $670 million, which includes $64 million of repair and overhaul work, including the Cayuga.
In addition, NASSCO has Navy options for an additional $265 million of work which is not included in the backlog.
NASSCO is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morrison-Knudsen Company, Inc.
Other stories from October 15, 1983 issue
- Jeffboat Building Three Title XI Approved Cruise Vessels Worth $28-Million page: 4
- Centrico Forms New Mineral Oil Group Headed By Lohmeyer page: 5
- National Steel Receives $13-Million Order To Overhaul The U.S.S. Cayuga page: 7
- E U R O P O R T ' 83 page: 8
- Marine Coating Directory Is Offered By Farboil page: 19
- Radm. Meyer Receives New Assignment page: 20
- B&W Diesel Acquired By American M.A.N. page: 21
- Emergency Medical Course Offered By Marine Safety page: 21
- Icebreaking Supply Vessel M/V Miscaroo Delivered By Vancouver Shipyards page: 22
- Apelco Relocates To Tampa, Names Vourloumis New Marketing Manager page: 23
- Hydranautics Shiplift Commissioned At Hyundai page: 23
- High-Speed Supermaran Ferry Marine Hawk Enters Service page: 24
- NATO FRIGATES Current Situation And Future Design Trends page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers 'Nicor Power' To Nicor Marine page: 40
- Marathon Oilfield Service Offers Color Brochure On Rigs And Resources page: 41
- Bath Iron Appoints Four New Directors page: 41
- Burrard Yarrows Delivers Icebreaker/Utility Vessels To Gulf Canada Resources page: 42
- NKK To Build Mobile Drilling Island For Beaufort Sea Project page: 42
- Tenneco In Joint Venture To Operate Its Own Service Boats In Gulf page: 43
- Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama page: 49
- Wartsila AB Delivers LPG/Ammonia Tanker To Maraven In Venezuela page: 49
- Daewoo Employs Unique Floating Drydock And Ship Transfer System page: 49
- 380-Foot Drillship To Be Auctioned In Singapore page: 54
- General Dynamics Building Cargo Transfer Platform Barge With National Jacking System page: 54