Radm. Meyer Receives New Assignment
Rear Adm. Wayne E. Meyer, USN, the Navy's "Dean of Project Managers," was reassigned recently within the Naval Sea Systems Command as Deputy Commander for Weapons and Combat Systems. He relieved Rear Adm.
Dempster M. Jackson, who retired from the U.S. Navy.
Admiral Meyer previously served as project manager, AEGIS Shipbuilding. He held that position from the inception of the AEGIS project in 1970, to the readiness-for-war of the first AEGIS ship, USS Ticonderoga (CG 47), in 1983. Significantly, this guided-missile cruiser was christened, commissioned, and deployed exactly on the schedule, and within the budget, established six years ago. Her transition from the Ingalls Shipbuilding yard, Pascagoula, Miss., to deployment was accomplished in the remarkably short time of nine months with highly successful performance at each milestone.
Admiral Meyer's completion of duty as project manager coincides with the entry of Ticonderoga into the Operating Forces' first deployment this fall as one of the world's most potent surface ships.
In his new position, Admiral Meyer is responsible for the development, engineering, procurement, testing, and in-service performance of weapons and combat systems for all Navy ships and submarines.
Rear Adm. Donald (Pete) Roane replaces Admiral Meyer as the AEGIS Shipbuilding Project Manager. He formerly served as Deputy Manager of that project and, most recently, was assigned as Commander, Naval Surface Group Western Pacific, before returning to the Naval Sea Systems Command in Arlington, Va.
Other stories from October 15, 1983 issue
- Jeffboat Building Three Title XI Approved Cruise Vessels Worth $28-Million page: 4
- Centrico Forms New Mineral Oil Group Headed By Lohmeyer page: 5
- National Steel Receives $13-Million Order To Overhaul The U.S.S. Cayuga page: 7
- E U R O P O R T ' 83 page: 8
- Marine Coating Directory Is Offered By Farboil page: 19
- Radm. Meyer Receives New Assignment page: 20
- B&W Diesel Acquired By American M.A.N. page: 21
- Emergency Medical Course Offered By Marine Safety page: 21
- Icebreaking Supply Vessel M/V Miscaroo Delivered By Vancouver Shipyards page: 22
- Apelco Relocates To Tampa, Names Vourloumis New Marketing Manager page: 23
- Hydranautics Shiplift Commissioned At Hyundai page: 23
- High-Speed Supermaran Ferry Marine Hawk Enters Service page: 24
- NATO FRIGATES Current Situation And Future Design Trends page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers 'Nicor Power' To Nicor Marine page: 40
- Marathon Oilfield Service Offers Color Brochure On Rigs And Resources page: 41
- Bath Iron Appoints Four New Directors page: 41
- Burrard Yarrows Delivers Icebreaker/Utility Vessels To Gulf Canada Resources page: 42
- NKK To Build Mobile Drilling Island For Beaufort Sea Project page: 42
- Tenneco In Joint Venture To Operate Its Own Service Boats In Gulf page: 43
- Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama page: 49
- Wartsila AB Delivers LPG/Ammonia Tanker To Maraven In Venezuela page: 49
- Daewoo Employs Unique Floating Drydock And Ship Transfer System page: 49
- 380-Foot Drillship To Be Auctioned In Singapore page: 54
- General Dynamics Building Cargo Transfer Platform Barge With National Jacking System page: 54