Daewoo Employs Unique Floating Drydock And Ship Transfer System
A new floating drydock and innovative transfer system were commissioned recently in the Daewoo shipyard at Okpo, South Korea.
The drydock, designed by U.K.-based A.P.
Appledore, features four fixed towers which serve as wing walls, differing from the traditional concept with full-length wing walls.
The transfer system supplied by Hydranautics Hydraulic Systems, Goleta, Calif., also represents a new generation in shipyard design and operation by providing virtually unlimited flexibility, according to John Johnson, Hydranautics Director of Shipyard Systems.
Capable of moving ships or ship sections up to 6,000 metric tons, the Hydranautics system will be used to transfer ships or ship sections on or off the floating drydock. In the yard, vessels can be moved by the hydraulic system on fixed or portable beams.
Additional versatility has been provided by the Daewoo yard since the Hydranautics hydraulic system can accommodate movement of offshore structures and jack-ups as well as ships.
For complete literature on Hydranautics ship transfer systems, W r i t e 11 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from October 15, 1983 issue
- Jeffboat Building Three Title XI Approved Cruise Vessels Worth $28-Million page: 4
- Centrico Forms New Mineral Oil Group Headed By Lohmeyer page: 5
- National Steel Receives $13-Million Order To Overhaul The U.S.S. Cayuga page: 7
- E U R O P O R T ' 83 page: 8
- Marine Coating Directory Is Offered By Farboil page: 19
- Radm. Meyer Receives New Assignment page: 20
- B&W Diesel Acquired By American M.A.N. page: 21
- Emergency Medical Course Offered By Marine Safety page: 21
- Icebreaking Supply Vessel M/V Miscaroo Delivered By Vancouver Shipyards page: 22
- Apelco Relocates To Tampa, Names Vourloumis New Marketing Manager page: 23
- Hydranautics Shiplift Commissioned At Hyundai page: 23
- High-Speed Supermaran Ferry Marine Hawk Enters Service page: 24
- NATO FRIGATES Current Situation And Future Design Trends page: 26
- Moss Point Marine Delivers 'Nicor Power' To Nicor Marine page: 40
- Marathon Oilfield Service Offers Color Brochure On Rigs And Resources page: 41
- Bath Iron Appoints Four New Directors page: 41
- Burrard Yarrows Delivers Icebreaker/Utility Vessels To Gulf Canada Resources page: 42
- NKK To Build Mobile Drilling Island For Beaufort Sea Project page: 42
- Tenneco In Joint Venture To Operate Its Own Service Boats In Gulf page: 43
- Twin City Shipyard Delivers Split Hull Barges To Panama page: 49
- Wartsila AB Delivers LPG/Ammonia Tanker To Maraven In Venezuela page: 49
- Daewoo Employs Unique Floating Drydock And Ship Transfer System page: 49
- 380-Foot Drillship To Be Auctioned In Singapore page: 54
- General Dynamics Building Cargo Transfer Platform Barge With National Jacking System page: 54