Compact Survey AUV
MUNIN Debuted by Kongsberg Maritime
Kongsberg Maritime recently launched MUNIN, a nextgeneration Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) for offshore survey. Kongsberg Maritime’s Subsea Division has combined its experience in developing and manufacturing the HUGIN and REMUS AUVs to bring the compact MUNIN AUV to the market, setting new standards for performance and flexibility in low logistics AUV survey operations.
The MUNIN AUV is designed to collect high-resolution sonar data geo-referenced by a survey grade positioning system. Capable of providing the same high-level performance and survey accuracy of the established KONGSBERG AUV family, MUNIN is an efficient, compact vehicle design, providing for easier launch and recovery and the possibility of using smaller launch vessels.
MUNIN features a modular structure that provides the ability to install extra batteries to extend operational scope for missions lasting up to 24 hours at depths as deep as 1,500m. Weighing in at less than 300 kg in air, its 34cm diameter and length between 3-4m depending on configuration, places MUNIN as a light, compact and (virtue of its pedigree) capable AUVs..
Despite its small size, MUNIN is capable of carrying a complete subsea survey payload, consisting of sensor technology. It features an advanced new rigid design which integrates the navigation systems and acoustic payload sensors in a single mechanical housing, which is factory calibrated and requires no realignment after transport or remobilization. The IHO special order (S-44) compliant sensor payload includes a custom version of the EM2040 multibeam echo sounder, 200-400 kHz, 1 degree x1degree beam width, swath 120 degrees in addition to an EdgeTech side scan sonar 230/540 kHz and forward looking sonar with advanced terrain following and collision avoidance. Also included is an NBOS conductivity and temperature (CT) sensor whilst a sub-bottom profiler and still image cameras can be specified.
User configurable, MUNIN’s flexible communications and navigation systems feature an array of sophisticated technology. Communication is via Kongsberg Maritime’s cNODE acoustic command and data link, Wi-Fi and Iridium. The Kongsberg Maritime NavP aided inertial navigation system (AINS) with Honeywell HG9900 inertial measurement unit (IMU) feature within the navigation system alongside cNODE and HiPAP (option), which offer precise, reliable acoustic positioning.
In Norse mythology, MUNIN (Muninn) and HUGIN (Huginn) are a pair of ravens that fly around the world of Midgard, collecting information for Norse God Odin. Kongsberg Maritime AUVs are designed to provide survey operators with highly accurate data, so alongside the existing HUGIN, MUNIN was the perfect name for this next generation survey vehicle.
(As published in the October 2013 edition of Marine Technology Reporter - www.seadiscovery.com)
Other stories from October 2013 issue
- Increase in Demand for the Hot Subsea Vessel Market page: 8
- Oceaneering Taps BAE Systems to Build New Subsea Support Vessel page: 12
- Van Oord Contracts Damen for DP2 Cable Laying Vessel page: 14
- MHI to Build RV for JAMSTEC page: 14
- OSD-IMT Wins Contracts for COSL page: 16
- IHC Merwede Launches Pipelaying Vessel page: 17
- Cyclops: A Revolutionary Hull Design page: 18
- Floating LiDAR System page: 20
- Satellite Images Capture Tanker Pollution page: 21
- Baltic Wind Success Paves Way for Ecosse page: 23
- National Ocean Policy, Coastal & Marine Spatial Planning Raising Red Flags page: 24
- One-on-One with SMAST’s Steven E. Lohrenz page: 26
- From Learning to Earning page: 30
- AUV Deployment by the U.S. Navy 5th Fleet page: 36
- ICTINEU 3 Development of a Research Submersible page: 38
- ARGUS Enviable Technology, Unlimited Potential page: 42
- Improved eBird page: 52
- New Additions to Imagenex Line page: 52
- AMEC Buys AXYS Sensor page: 52
- The Cavidome page: 52
- GE Dynamic Positioning page: 53
- Seatronics, CodaOctopus Agree page: 54
- Shark Eye page: 54
- CTI SonarWiz Update page: 54
- Compact Survey AUV page: 55
- New NEXUS HD Multiplexer from MacArtney page: 56
- Tritech’s RAMS Integrity Monitoring Technology page: 56
- Mustang Launches Ocean Commander Immersion Suit page: 56
- Reservoir Modeling Platform page: 56
- MacArtney Inline Termination for Andritz Hydro Hammerfest page: 57
- EIVA: New Winch Range page: 58
- MetOcean Snow Beacon page: 58
- Free Web-Embeddable Map Widgets page: 58